Friday, March 12, 2021

Sixty-three:

63

When I can’t sleep I look at the moon and ponder wander.

My great great grandfather James Alexander Gilmour 

owned and operated a cooperage in lower Manhattan.

The location of which is now a high rise financial building. 

His boxes and barrels shipped product all over the world. 

The entire family worked there including his father who 

taught him the trade. As his father taught him in Killaloo. 

His children called him Pappy. My grandchildren call me 

Pappy. “The past is gone, we cannot go back.”

When I make a box it is as if I am sleep working. 

I know how to do things I have not been taught. 

The smell of wood shavings is like a drug. 

The past is present in the wood. 

The moon knows all the answers.


Markle~

11March2021

1 comment: