Friday, May 12, 2023

Trolley Dodger.

My Nana was withered at the end.

A fragment of crêpe paper caught in the wind.


My mother, much the same at that age

had been the picture of strength in her youth.


I recall Nana wrapping me up in her rollie-pollie arms;

smothering me in talcum powder and kisses.


It was a shock the way Nana transformed after Grandpa died;

as if all of her being had already gone after him ahead of her.


Mom, even in her grief, even in her sickness, was strong.

Don’t get me wrong, Nana could be a tough cookie.


She had to be, she was married to my Grandfather.

But Nana had a weakness. A laceration of sorts.


Nana never got over the Dodgers leaving Brooklyn.

Mom on the other hand, like Grandpa, was a Yankee fan.





©️Mark W. Ó Brien

11May2023

No comments:

Post a Comment